Toreilta toimintaan! From talk to action!
Man-made climate crisis is a scientific fact.
If almost everything we are doing now needs to change, then shouldn’t we change what we are doing in our schools? The climate crisis has created a sense of anxiety in the air. As educators, we have the responsibility to offer young people sights of hope and to teach them skills, such as resilience and flexibility, to cope in the changing world.
The first project 2019-2021
The Ilmastonmuutos lukioihin! (Climate Change in Upper Secondary Schools!) -project empowered people in the upper secondary schools of Northern Ostrobothnia to take climate action during 2019-2021. We have toured around Oulu and Northern Ostrobothnia to tell 200 teachers and more than 4,000 students why it is essential for upper secondary schools to offer the common knowledge necessary for the 2020’s: the Ecosocial Approach to Well-Being. It is the goal to achieve the good life within the ecological limits of our only planet. We have created a climate network of teachers and students in Northern Ostrobothnia that will begin the change within our upper secondary schools.
During years 2019-2021, we have:
- Developed the action of the climate network created in the area, like the Youth Climate Panel, that have made concrete climate actions in upper secondary schools and spread the word of sustainability.
- Built online courses for the students in the second degree (upper secondary school and vocational education). The courses will teach students how to affect their climate choices within their environment with appropriate knowledges and attitudes. We invite all upper secondary school students in Finland to take part.
- Updated upper secondary school teachers knowledge of climate change and produced and improve teaching materials about it. We’ve encouraged teachers to approach the climate crisis holistically – not only from the natural sciences perspective – but also from the social, cultural, psychological, historical and economic perspectives.
- Collaborated with both the universities and the universities of applied sciences’ to learn from one another.
- Implemented climate studies in our network upper secondary schools.
We’ve started another project called Ilmastolukiot (Climate Upper Secondary Schools) which will continue the climate action in 6 upper secondary schools during the school year 2021-2022. Our aims are to develop together with schools and other partners:
- an online environment for learning and recognizing climate know-how Koulun korjausopas
- a carbon footprint calculator for schools
- a road map for carbon neutrality for schools
More info coming later, in autumn 2021.
Please send us a message here, if you have an idea of how we could collaborate.
The climate of tomorrow is made today.