Toreilta toimintaan! From talk to action!
Man-made climate crisis is a scientific fact. If almost everything we are doing now needs to change, then shouldn’t we change what we are doing in our schools? The climate crisis has created a sense of anxiety in the air. As educators, we have the responsibility to offer young people sights of hope and to teach them skills, such as resilience and flexibility, to cope in the changing world.
The Ilmastonmuutos lukioihin! (Climate Change in High Schools!) -project empowers people in the high-schools of Northern Ostrobothnia to take climate action. We have toured around Oulu and Northern Ostrobothnia to tell 200 teachers and more than 4,000 students why it is essential for high-schools to offer the common knowledge necessary for the 2020’s: the Ecosocial Approach to Well-Being. It is the goal to achieve the good life within the ecological limits of our only planet. We have created a climate network of teachers and students in Northern Ostrobothnia that will begin the change within our high-schools.
During the next year, we will:
- Develop the action of the climate network created in the area, like the Youth Climate Panel, that will make concrete climate actions in high-schools and spread the word of sustainability.
- Build online courses for the students in the second degree (high-school and vocational education). The courses will teach students how to affect their climate choices within their environment with appropriate knowledges and attitudes. We invite all high-school students in Finland to take part.
- Update high-school teachers knowledge of climate change and produce and improve teaching materials about it We encourage teachers to approach the climate crisis holistically – not only from the natural sciences perspective – but also from the social, cultural, psychological, historical and economic perspectives.
- Collaborate with both the universities and the universities of applied sciences’ to learn from one another.
- Implement climate studies in all of our network high-schools.
You’re welcome to join our project. Please send us a message here, if you have an idea of how we could collaborate.
The climate of tomorrow is made today.